The Spanish palace, Via Vergini, Naples – Palazzo dello Spagnolo (Spagnuolo), Napoli

The Spanish palace, Via Vergini, Naples – Palazzo dello Spagnolo (Spagnuolo), Napoli

The building, was built in 1738 and its design has always been attributed to Ferdinando Sanfelice, especially for the presence of the double ramp staircase that rises in the garden. In those years Marquis Nicola Moscati, after marrying with the daughter of Baron of Albanella, became the owner of two neighboring palaces. So, to give his family a more brilliant home, he decided to break down and build a larger ex-novo, commissioning the work of the kingdom engineer Francesco Attanasio, who made use of the co-operation of captain Felice Polito.


In 1759, the palace passed on to the son of Nicola Moscati, Giuseppe, who subsequently left him to his descendant, also named Nicola. Over the years, however, the family had lost much of its economic power and the court decided to sell some of the apartment’s apartments to creditors. One of these, in 1813, was bought by Don Thomas Atienza, known as the Spaniard.


Subsequently, in 1833, the palace was again expropriated from the court and auctioned, during which the new owners became the industrial Costa, the pharmacist Chiapparo and the brothers Chambeyront. Already in 1850, almost all of the building had been purchased by the Costa family. Later, in 1925, upom a visit by King Umberto di Savoia, the palace was declared a national monument.


The façade consists of three floors, in which slats and capitals alternate with balconies that, on the first floor, are surmounted by trunks and broken timpani, and, secondly, by curvilinear elements and shaped arches. In addition, the third floor, added only later, still has the frame that delimited the ancient structure. The portal, on the other hand, is made up of pillars in pipeline, surmounted by volutes and scrolls that support the balcony of the noble floor.


Inside, past the doorway, you get to the yard from which you can admire the double ramping ladder, with five openings per floor that, with the exception of the last one, develop symmetrically. On each floor there is a lunette with stucco decorations, with busts and floral motifs of Baroque taste, realized by Aniello Prezioso in 1742, on the design of Francesco Attanasio.

Written by Paul De Martino on 9/10/2017

Data freely available on the internet

Please follow and like us:

Comments

comments

Comments are closed.